Love is in the air my fellow sassy ladies. It seems just as I finish picking out the perfect (aka affordable) present on one friend’s bridal registry, I get another invitation in the mail. I would never complain about such things though. As a sucker for all things cute and romantic (if you don’t believe me, you should see my collection of chick flicks), I can definitely appreciate the wonderful emotion that is love.
Of course my “young and stupid” days are over and I have a more realistic approach to life…and boyfriends. As a newly un-single lady (he’s adorable…but I’ll spare you the mushy lovey-dovey details), I have definitely come to realize that there is a true art to dating. Being the Sassy Expert that I am, it is my job to make sure all of you lovelies out there are tip-top girlfriend material.
Traditional dating has gone out the window it seems so I won’t bore you with “which fork do I use when my salad arrives?” because let’s be honest, those days are over (and honestly, if you don’t know then maybe stick to dinner at Chili’s).
1. Make sure you are YOURSELF! This is number one for a reason…don’t ever forget this one ladies.
Someone who can’t appreciate who YOU are just isn’t worth your time. Believe me, there are plenty of fish in the sea…and just as many frogs.
2. Let him spoil you (that is his job after all), but after you’ve had the “yes, we’re official” talk, remember that you guys are a team. You’re in this together! Make the most of it.
3. Don’t spend every waking moment together. This one can be tricky for several reasons. If you happen to fall head over heels for that cutie in the cubicle next to you (*cough cough, oops cough cough*), it might be difficult. BUT, it’s important to savor those precious moments together and not get burnt out. What fun would that be anyway?
4. Do FUN things together and SMILE! This should be your top priority. My fabulous college roommate and best friend always said “If it’s good, keep it. If it’s bad, remove it.” This quote can be applied to almost everything in your life. That cheese in the fridge, those favorite black pumps, and even your boyfriend. If you’re smiling then you’re happy and that’s really all that matters in this world (and having cute shoes of course).
5. Have “Apart Days” – this is very important, especially in the beginning. I am a firm believer that your significant other should enhance your life and who you are. Time alone keeps your own life in check and reminds you that A) You are still your own awesome person, and B) You most definitely want him in your life because you miss him.
I will do a run-down of the proper etiquette for that perfect date in the future but these are some good things to think about in the mean time.
Keep is Sassy Ladies, and I expect an invitation to the wedding